Here’s a good thing NOT to do.
- Open SPD 2010 at the site collection level and go into the workflow assets.
- Make a copy of the Publishing Approval workflow using copy/paste.
- Decide that you really didn’t want to do it that way and delete your copy of the workflow.
- Amazingly, all the Publishing Approval workflows are deleted.
- Close SPD, thinking that this must be a user interface glitch.
- Open SPD and verify that the workflows have indeed been deleted.
- Start working on a way to get the Publishing Approval workflow back.
- If you don’t have a lot of customized WFs yet, deactivate and reactivate the Publishing Approval workflow.
- Use "Copy and Modify" in the future.